v4.02 P-38J ROC/TTA testing

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

v4.02 P-38J ROC/TTA testing

Postby TAGERT on Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:50 am

METHOD:
There are only two possible methods used, the air start or ground start.

1) The air start method is where the plane is flying at sea level at a speed near the best climb rate. The time starts once the pilot performs a fairly abrupt pull-up and attempts to stabilize on the speed at the best climb speed schedule at the lowest practical altitude (aka sea level). Once stabilized on the climb schedule the pilot will adjust speed as the airplane climbs so that the schedule of best climb speed is maintained as the altitude increases. The check climb ends when the rate of climb drops below 100 feet per minute or when a pre-established maximum altitude has been reached.

2) The ground start method begins at a stop on the runway by establishing Military Power with the brakes on. The time starts when the brakes are released. The pilot completes a normal takeoff with rapid gear and flap retraction. The airplane is allowed to accelerate at low altitude to a speed somewhat below the speed for best climb. The pilot then performs a fairly abrupt pull-up and attempts to stabilize on the best climb speed schedule at the lowest practical altitude. Once stabilized on the climb schedule the pilot will adjust speed as the airplane climbs so that the schedule of best-climb speed is maintained as the altitude increases. The check climb ends when the rate of climb drops below 100 feet per minute or when a pre-established maximum altitude has been reached.

The two methods are similar, but the air start method provides the best chance of the P38J matching the real life values in that it removes the time from when the plane is at rest to when it is flying level at the initial best climb speed. In my track file I actually do the ground start method, but, that portion of the data is ignored in this analysis. Therefore the data used in this analysis is that of an air start.

The in-game P38J is a newer model than the one used in the AAF test. The P38J in the AAF test has the smaller 300gal. fuel tanks, therefore I adjusted the fuel load to account for this. Bodie states the test was done at WEP, and the MP indicates 60"MP. Oleg has indicated that all planes are verified at 100% (MIL), but at that setting the P38J does not even get close. So, I decided to try it at 110% (WEP). The problem with that is the in-game P38 engines are damaged at ~22kft due to over heat. Therefore I start off at 110% (WEP) and slowly reduce to 100% (MIL).

IN GAME P38J CONFIGURATION:
MAP: Crimea
WEATHER: Clear
TIME: 12:00PM
FUEL: 70% (i.e. 300gal/426gal. ~ 70%)
WEAPON LOADOUT: DEFAULT
RAD: AUTO
POWER: 110% THROTTLE (0ft to ~11kft)
POWER: 105% THROTTLE (~11kft to ~15kft)
POWER: 100% THROTTLE (~15kft to ~33kft)

RESULTS

Here is the summary table

Here is the corresponding ROC

Here is the corresponding TTA

SUMMARY
Key things to remember
1) The real life test was done using the NACA ground start method, where as I used an air start. Using the air start saves you about 30 to 40 seconds, that is to the P38J should get to the real world altitudes about 30 to 40 seconds sooner.
2) I adjusted the fuel load down to 300gal.
3) I could not do the test at WEP for the whole test due to engine damage.

With all those things in mind the in-game P38J still did not get close to hitting the mark. As you can see the TTA graphs the in-game P38J took ~7min to get to 20kft where the real life P38J was able to do it in ~5min 37sec. This is to be expected when you look at the ROC graphs, note the real life P38J had a ROC of 4,000fpm at SL and the in-game P38J has a ROC of only 3,750. Also note that is the closest the in-game P38J ever gets to the real ROC values. Look at the ROC at 20kft, the in-game P38J has an ROC of ~2,000fpm and the real life P38J has a ROC of ~3,250fpm, that is a 1,250fpm error.

This next table I don’t have automated in my analysis tool yet, but I wanted to show the difference and percent error in the ROC per altitude. I had to visually get the in-game values off of my curves so keep that in mind. I will add this in later so it is automated. Here is the difference and percent error table

I have also done some testing with the engine heat off, running at 110% for the whole climb does not fix the problem either. Long story short, the P38J’s climb rate is way off imho.

Here is a link to the 100% full report and track file
full report for 100% case
track file for 100% case

Here is a link to the this (110% to 105% to 100%) full report and track file
full report for 110% to 105% to 100% case
track file for 110% to 105% to 100% case
TAGERT
Flight Sergeant

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum