Flightstrip on map is not alike the real situation.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Flightstrip on map is not alike the real situation.

Postby Bunz on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:54 pm

When returning to the base, I mention that the image of the runway on the map does not cover the situation you see when looking from air to the airstrip.
The direction of the strip on the map divers from the real situation, while I imagine, that in real this would lead to serious accidents, certenly under bad weather conditions....

Is this a bug??
Bunz
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MudPuppy on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:02 pm

Finally getting my response to you. I had lost my home connection this AM just before I hit the 'Submit' button.

Anyway, I always assumed it was a limitation of the program/map. All of the airstrips have the saem orientation when you view the printed maps, just like the alpha and numeric characters.
As a work-around, I would say that you'd have to make a notation on your printed maps of the direction of the airstrip. The obvious problem here would be if it is an emergency landing that is not at your home airstrip.

Perhaps someone with a longer history with the sim may have some other thoughts.
MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:25 pm

I know that in the Full Mission Builder (FMB) that the airfields are marked with two runway icons. The icons mark ends of the runway and therefore give the direction on the runway. Based on what you have both said (and I can't remember or check as I'm at work) that the in flight map only has the icon, without any indication of runway direction.

Now, I think its one of those things that has just remained the way it is from the start.

I think the maps in general aren't the best. Runway direction and elevation would be good additions which we can hope will come with BoB.

As MudPuppy has said, one idea is have your own maps with runway direction indicated on them from looking at the map in the FMB.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum