Urgent help needed

If you have a technical Issue please post here and we will endeavor to solve it.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Urgent help needed

Postby kidobutai on Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:34 am

Once I had IL-2 FB and Pacific fighters installed together instead of stand alone. everything ran fine. Now I have reinstaled it and cannot get pacific fighters to run. the disc runs but the only picture that comes up is of the aircraft carrier still that lasts for about 2 seconds. please help me solve this issue and reinstall them together as i once had them.
kidobutai
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:32 am

Please tell us how you re-installed the game and what patches you used.

Did you uninstall the previous version and delete the FB folder before re-installing ?

We need to know that you installed FB and AEP before installing PF and precisely what patches you have installed.

Check the installation guide to see if you went about it the right way.
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

installation

Postby kidobutai on Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:38 am

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it. i have not used patches. i still cannot get pacific fighters to run when merged with FB
kidobutai
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:22 am

Download and install rts.dll
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby MaXMhZ on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:41 pm

If the rts.dll doesn't work, make sure you have the correct disk in the drive.

Check the version above the "Loading..." message is correct. For unpatched merged install this should say 3.0m

If it does not, try starting the game by double clicking Program Files/Ubi Soft/IL2 Forgotten Battles/il2fb.exe

Pacific Fighters can be installed two ways:
-1- Stand Alone - This is Pacific Fighters (V3.0)

-2- Merged into Forgotten Battles - This is Forgotten Battles (V3.0m)

These are two different games Option 1 only has the Pacific theatre, while option 2 (Forgotten Battles +Ace Expansion Pack (2CD's)+Pacific Fighters) has all maps and planes from FB+AEP as well.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

installment

Postby kidobutai on Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:21 pm

don't have a pacific fighters fiel just IL-2 FB after i installed the merge. still can't get it to work.
kidobutai
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:42 pm

Can you give us a little more detail about what you have done?

1. Have you uninstalled?
2. Have you read the installation guide as we asked?
3. Have you tried rts.dll?

Please try to give a full step by step account of what you do, one line replies do not help us to help you..
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby kidobutai on Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:37 pm

I uninstalled both pacific fighters and IL2 FB+AEP I reinstalled both, downloaded Rts.dll. There was no pacific fighters folder after reinstallation of pacific fighters so i put it into IL-2 FB. and Ubisoft. I didn't even get so much as a picture from pacific fighters event though the disk would run a few seconds then stop. it looks like i'll just have to install them both as stand alones. they worked fine then. though i have to admit i did enjoy the aircraft the merge provided. if i choose to download patxhes for the stand alone games where do i install them?
kidobutai
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:47 am

After you uninstalled both, did you check the directories under /Program Files/ Ubi Soft/ c.q. /Program Files/UbiSoft/were both gone ?

Forgotten Battles is saved under Program Files/ Ubi Soft/ IL-2 Forgotten Battles/ "Ubi Soft" with a space!
while Pacific Fighters is saved under Program Files/ UbiSoft/Pacific Fighters/ <---"UbiSoft" without a space!

These directories are where the patches go too. Forgotten Battles (=PF "merged") and Pacific Fighters stand-alone should go into their respective directories.

Forgotten Battles is started by il2.exe or il2fb.exe while Pacific Fighters is started by pf.exe

Did you install and un-install through auto-run CD (Good) or did you run the setup.exe on the CD's or use Add/Remove Programs (Wrong)
Remember you have two different games if you install both merged and stand-alone PF When you run stand-alone PF you will need the PF CD, when you run the merged version, you will need the FB CD.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

uninstallment

Postby kidobutai on Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:59 am

i'm pretty sure i uninstalled everything. when reinstalling i used autorun.
i did use add/remove programs when uninstalling them. is there something else i could use?
kidobutai
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:44 am

You can uninstall through autorun too, but I don't think that's the problem.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

installation

Postby kidobutai on Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:19 am

what to do do then?
kidobutai
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:39 am

Are you installing FB then AEP then PF? or do you have the Gold pack which has three discs. If you are installing the Gold pack you must use all three discs.

If you are not installing from the Gold pack then uninstall completely deleting the C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles folder.

Follow the instructions Here, do not deviate or improvise in any way, you should then have a merged install running.
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby MaXMhZ on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:09 am

If PF Standalone doesn't start through autorun, try double clicking pf.exe in /Pacific Fighters/

If the PF Merged version doesn't start, try double clicking il2.exe in /Forgotten Battles/
If you need a CD it will be prompted for.

check the windows registry has the correct values don't change anything at this point

- make a system restore point
It's now relatively safe to edit the registry.
click Start - Run - type regedit - click OK

don't change anything unless you know what you're doing
DO NOT EXPERIMENT! - IT MAY CRASH YOUR SYSTEM !

registry editor will open. To the left is a frame with "directories" These are "keys"
They work just like directories in windows explorer.
navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ubi Soft/IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
There should be 3 entries in the right frame, all of type "REG_SZ"
"(Default)" with Data "(value not set)"
Directory" with Data pointing to your Forgotten Battles directory (note a backward slash is used instead of a forward slash)
"language" with Data "en_us"
If the data value is incorrect, rightclick the symbol in the right frame (little paper with a red "ab" on it and select "modify" - a dialog will open to prompt for the data - enter the correct path for your Forgotten Battles directory (use reverse slash!), "(value not set)" for "(Default)" and "en_us" for "language"
If the "Directory" key is not there, right-click the empty space and
Select New - String Value. Enter "Directory" and the path to your Forgotten Battles using backward slash.

do the same for
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Ubi Soft/Pacific Fighters/1.0/

same 3 entries, now for PF standalone.

correct/add them as above.

After it's OK you can close the registry editor and try if the game works now.If anything went wrong you can restore to the system restore point you made before editing the registry.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to Help Forum